Championship Cheese Auction Raises $39,125
The live, virtual Championship Cheese Auction, held Wednesday during CheeseExpo Global Online, raised $39,125 for Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association (WCMA) scholarship programs and industry educational opportunities, as well as the World and U.S. Championship Cheese Contests.
“The Championship Cheese Auction is always a highlight of CheeseExpo, and this year’s virtual event offered a moment of camaraderie and celebration, along with the opportunity to support training for the dairy processing industry’s next generation,” says John Umhoefer, executive director, WCMA.
The 2021 Championship Cheese Auction featured 10 cheeses, all previous winners of the World or U.S. Championship Cheese Contests.
“Our thanks go to auction bidders for participating with generosity and enthusiasm,” Umhoefer says. “In celebrating cheesemaking excellence, they are also ensuring dairy’s future is strong, with a well-trained, highly skilled workforce.”
• Item 1: Nelson-Jameson Inc. purchased 18 pounds of Marieke Gouda Mature made by Marieke Gouda, Thorp, Wisconsin, for $40 per pound for a total of $720.
• Item 2: Nelson-Jameson Inc. purchased 20 pounds of SarVecchio Parmesan made by Sartori Co., Plymouth, Wisconsin, for $160 per pound for a total of $3,200.
• Item 3: Nelson-Jameson Inc. purchased 10 pounds of Evalon made by LaClare Farms & Mosaic Meadows, Malone, Wisconsin, for $110 per pound for a total of $1,100.
• Item 4: Chr. Hansen purchased a 5-pound Baby Swiss Wheel made by Guggisberg Cheese, Millersburg, Ohio, for $370 per pound for a total of $1,850.
• Item 5: B Team/Brian Eggebrecht purchased 40 pounds of Sharp Cheddar made by Dan Stearns, Agropur Inc., Weyauwega, Wisconsin, for $140 per pound for a total of $5,600.
• Item 6: Alpma USA purchased 5 pounds of Esquirrou made by Savencia Fromage & Dairy & Mauleon Fromagerie, France, for $325 per pound for a total of $1,625.
•Item 7: Great Lakes Cheese Co. Inc. purchased 9 pounds of Le Gruyère made by Gourmino & Bergkäserei Fritzenhaus, Michael Spycher, Emmental, Switzerland, for $400 per pound for a total of $3,600.
• Item 8: DSM Food Specialties purchased 40 pounds of Sharp Cheddar made by Cabot Creamery Cooperative, Cabot, Vermont, for $170 per pound for a total of $6,800.
• Item 9: Great Lakes Cheese Co. Inc. purchased 22 pounds of Rembrandt Gouda made by FrieslandCampina, Wolvega, Friesland, Netherlands, for $260 per pound for a total of $5,720.
• Item 10: Kelley Supply Inc. purchased 18 pounds of Grand Cru Surchoix made by Emmi Roth USA, Monroe, Wisconsin, for $495 per pound for a total of $8,910.
Keep Up To Date On Cheese Industry News
Find all of HART Design & Manufacturing current industry news here.
Source: Cheese Market News